After 16 years as a freelance writer, I have discovered that there are 10 pressing reasons why business owners hire a freelance writer, regardless of the business owner’s industry, years of experience or overall marketing expertise. Over and over, business owners have shared at least one of these concerns and usually several:
1. I don’t have the time to write.
2. I know what I want to say but I don’t know how to say it.
3. I don’t need a full-time writer, but I do need someone dependable to handle writing jobs when they come along who appreciates my business.
4. My products or services or solutions are complicated and/or highly technical, and I need a better way to explain them to potential customers.
5. I’m constantly dealing with the same questions by email and phone; I’d like to standardize the information and make it easier for customers to find on their own.
6. Our proposal (or report or manual) writing process is complete chaos, with everyone editing everyone else and important information left out entirely. I need someone to take charge, sort out the problems and unify the content.
7. My website and marketing collateral no longer reflect what my company actually does, but I’m not sure what direction I should take. I need a collaborator who can clarify what I should be writing and then write it for me.
8. I’m writing a blog and I’m out of ideas for posts.
9. I need more publicity online/in print but I don’t know how to go about it.
10. I hate writing.
A professional freelance writer is adept at clear and accurate communication, organizing information, collaboration, addressing customer concerns and priorities and providing creative content. If you recognize yourself in any of the top 10 reasons why business owners hire a freelance writer, please contact me. At TWP Marketing & Technical Communications, our words mean business.