After 20 years as a freelance writer, I have discovered 12 reasons why business owners hire a freelance writer. Regardless of the business owner’s industry, years of experience or overall marketing expertise, hiring a freelance writer addresses one or more of these concerns:
1. I don’t have the time to write.
2. I know what I want to say but I don’t know how to say it.
3. I need someone who isn’t full time but is dependable; will handle my writing projects when they come along; and understands my business.
4. My products or services or solutions are complicated and/or highly technical, and I need a better way to explain them to potential customers.
5. I’d like to standardize my replies to customer inquiries, my marketing collateral or cold call scripts so that my brand is clear.
6. My proposal (or report or manual) writing team needs someone to unify the content and figure out what’s missing, repetitive or contradictory.
7. My business has changed; I need a collaborator who can clarify what I should be writing now and then write it for me.
8. I’m writing a blog and I’m out of ideas for posts.
9. I need more publicity online/in print but I don’t know how to go about it.
10. I’m not detail oriented–at least, not with writing. I need someone who actually enjoys grammar and spelling.
11. My current marketing collateral sounds exactly like my competition’s; I need a way to differentiate myself.
12. I hate writing.
A professional freelance writer is adept at clear and accurate communication, organizing information, collaboration, addressing customer concerns and priorities and providing creative content.
Why would you hire a freelance writer?
If you recognize yourself in any of the top reasons for hiring a freelance writer, please contact me. At TWP Marketing & Technical Communications, based in Peterborough, New Hampshire, our words mean business.